Categories: News

Nigeria Will Soon Exit Recession Caused By COVID-19 Outbreak – Finance Minister, Zainab Ahmed

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, has said that Nigeria will soon exit its current recession which was caused by the COVID-19 outbreak.

KanyiDaily recalls that the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) had on Saturday announced that Nigeria has officially slid into its worst economic recession in over three decades.

According to gross domestic product numbers released by the NBS, the nation recorded a contraction of 3.62 percent in the third quarter of 2020.

Speaking at the 26th Nigerian Economic Summit on Monday, Mrs Ahmed said the country would emerge from the recession in the fourth quarter of this year or by the first quarter of 2021.

The finance minister said the COVID-19-induced recession followed the pattern across the world where many countries had entered an economic recession.

“Let me remind us that before the impact of COVID-19, the Nigerian economy was experiencing sustained growth, which had been improving quarter by quarter until the second quarter of 2020, when the impact of the COVID-19 was felt,” she said.

Ahmed said other countries also in recession, including the United Kingdom and the United States, recorded much deeper contraction than that of Nigeria.

“Nigeria is not alone in this, but I will say that Nigeria has outperformed all of these economies in terms of the record of a negative growth.”

According to her, South Africa, which recorded a decline of -50 per cent compared to Nigeria’s -6.1 per cent in Q2, will also record a deeper negative growth in Q3.

“While the economy has entered into recession in the third quarter, the trend of the growth suggests that this will be a short-lived recession, and indeed by the fourth or, at worst, the first quarter of 2021, the country will exit recession.

“Our expectation of a quick exit, which will be historically fast, is anchored on the several complementary fiscal, real sector and monetary interventions that have been proactively introduced by government to forestall a far worse decline of the economy and alleviate the negative consequences of the pandemic,” she said.

Meanwhile, a former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi has called on Nigerian politicians to put aside their 2023 political aspirations and focus on how to rescue the country from the current economic crisis.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Genevieve Nnaji Replies Man Who Said She Was Growing Old

Veteran Nollywood actress Genevieve Nnaji has responded to a fan who remarked on her aging…

15 minutes ago

David Umahi Orders Immediate Reopening Of Lagos Bridge After Hours-Long Gridlock

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has ordered the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge…

41 minutes ago

Portable Blow Hot After Saheed Osupa Vowed To Deal With Him Despite Apology [Video]

Nigerian singer, Portable has hit back at Fuji icon Saheed Osupa after the veteran musician…

1 hour ago

Fans Reacts As Justin Bieber Shades Selena Gomez Over Her Engagement To Benny Blanco

Canadian popstar, Justin Bieber has sparked speculation among fans after making some social media posts…

2 hours ago

Portable And Speed Darlington To Face Off In Celebrity Boxing Match

Nigerian musicians Portable and Speed Darlington are gearing up for a celebrity boxing match this…

18 hours ago

Why Uzor Arukwe Is Biggest Deal In Nollywood Right Now – Segun Arinze

Veteran actor, Segun Arinze has showered praise on Uzor Arukwe, declaring him the biggest talent…

19 hours ago